Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wikis in the Classroom

At first I wasn't sure how I could use a wiki in my classroom with the young children who have limited reading, writing and certainly computer skills. But after spending time on the internet and seeing how others are using them I now see that they would indeed be a great motivator for my students.  there are also many examples on the web that i could use to show them where we are headed over the next few months.  This would be a real reason for learning to read, write and to to learn to work together.

I would need a little additional adult assistance so that they would all have opportunities to use the limited computers that we have.  With a little training I know I could incorporate the assistance of the middle school helpers that i have for about 45 minutes each day.  It would be a good time for them to increase their computer skills also.  This would be the old, each one teach one, model.

I think I will start with the use of photographs that I can have the students take around campus and then post and have other students comment on.  Then we can delete or add photos as we all become more skilled with the process.  Each student will be responsible for taking one picture.
What a great learning experience for us all.

1 comment:

  1. Please post the song :)

    Way to go for it and get your creative excitement going. The point really is fun, because why should learning and doing be fun? The school setting could be a marvelous place to develop some responsibly curious habits in the way one sees the internet.

    The 'each one teach one' should be alive and well in our school and our lives. A friend of mine is doing "dynamic appreciation training", which is exactly that model, and my son is lucky enough to be a TA in his 7th grade English class. We need more of that and I can see your students working together beautifully. Make video!

    ReplyDelete